We wanted to highlight a few things we’ve done at the end of December, and thank some people who’ve made all that has happened this past year with Libera possible.
Look for a post in the next few weeks about plans for the coming year, and our annual report.
The last couple weeks we:
- visited Boone, Kanawha and Ohio Counties
- helped several women from domestic violence scenarios connect with financial, physical, emotional and relational help
- followed up with many women from our last Libera groups and workshop, connecting them with resources to overcome their barriers
- placed hundreds of rack cards with the human trafficking hotline along Interstate 70 near Wheeling, a known area and transportation pipeline for trafficking
- participated in the WV Human Trafficking Task Force meeting
- met with the Executive Director of the WV Women’s Commission about potential Libera workshops/groups in the Charleston area, and also wrote letters to delegates supporting the WV Women’s Commission
- laid some groundwork for Libera workshops and groups in/at:
- Fairmont State
- Hope, Inc.
- Barbour County
- Monongalia County- both adult women and college students
- Kanawha County
We have some big “thank you’s” to give out! So many people have helped Libera’s first full year as a 501(c)3 be transformational for many women.
- First, we must thank the founders of Libera and the Libera model: Nnenna Minimah, Tamara Miller, Carla Weaver, Alise Chaffins, Barb Ruggieri, Cathleen Kealey, Karen Haring.
- A huge thank you to the Libera board, who help move us forward and keep us in line with the vision and mission: Nnenna Minimah, Tamara Miller, Darla Hickey, Alise Chaffins, Nikky Luna, Gary Jarrell, Troy Ball, Barbara Myers.
- We thank our Advisory Board who counsel us and help us move forward: Thomas R. Schroeder, Melissa Watkins, Dorinda Kisner, and Ann d’Auteuil Bartolo.
- A shout out to our Listeners [what we call mentors], who help lead groups, meet with women, and are being trained to carry Libera forward: Teresa Martin, Gigi Hefner, Pearl Bingham-Marrow, Kim Sheets, Carla Weaver, Tamara Miller, Kelsey Riggi, Darla Hickey, Stephanie Pendley, Joan McKay, Ivy Guiler, Jessie Haring.
- Our first sponsor “thank you” must go to Chestnut Ridge Church, for their very generous funding commitment to help launch Libera. They have made Libera possible this first full year as a 501(c)3.
- Our second sponsor “thank you” must go to Premier Chevrolet Buick GMC and John and Helen Cognac for their extremely generous donation of funds for our Libera bus, Libby. They helped get us up and going and on the road.
- Huge thanks to the North Central West Virginia Women’s Giving Circle for their grant to allow our Listeners to attend a 2 day training in Miami, to become better equipped to listen to women’s stories, identify barriers they face, and help them overcome them.
- Thank you to MedExpress for their recent generous donation to Libera.
- Thank you to Your Community Foundation and Mavis Grant and George W. Lilley Jr. Community Enhancement Fund for the donation to purchase supplies for the Libera bus- resources such as books, CDs and Libera model workbooks to help women address their barriers.
- All of our “100 club” donors who are an ongoing support to Libera: Sue Kesey, Barbara Ruggieri, Derek & Sarah Jones, Moe & Janie Rubenstein, Tim & Karen Haring. These people have committed to giving $100 a month to Libera, to help sustain the work that we are doing to empower West Virginia women.And to the many others who have generously donated to Libera this year, we thank you!
And to the many others who have generously donated to Libera this year: monthly, once, or with volunteer service and in kind gifts like bus batteries, we thank you!